A repair is considered a critical home repair when it affects the health and safety of the occupants, or is causing further damage to the home.
- Electrical: fire hazard, electrical shock danger
- Plumbing: active leaks such as drainage leaks either visible or in walls or crawl space, sink or fixture leaks, non-functioning lavatory facilities and water heaters
- Fall hazards: deteriorated steps, missing or unstable hand rails, obstructions in walkways
- Roofing leaks
- HVAC, especially a lack of ability to heat or cool living space
- Conditions conducive to mold or mildew
- Structural repairs